Sho Tank Out Of The Blue Aquatics Aquatica
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Frags
    Real Name
    Shaun

TIL: Higher phosphates levels effect fish health as well not just coral calcification

I always had elevated phosphates in my system but my fish seemed healthy. Through a desperate effort to bring phosphates to 0, I started dripping Lanthanum Chloride to a 10 micron bag. I have been doing this for the last 2 weeks & have to say, the colors on my fish & the activities have seemed a lot better.
    Phosphates effecting fish is just my observation, do your own research / search some write up.

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    I've had the same experience. When my phos is really low or zero, my tank including fish seem to really shine. When I get lazy or there is drama, they don't look as good.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

I'm scared to use chemicals in my tank.. So I stick with carbon & GFO with WC.

To many errors can happen!! But never bothered to notice this.. Will be very interesting to research

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Kyle
    I've never noticed this as well.. but my phos is never at 0. I've been trying to get it to 0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reefer View Post
    I always had elevated phosphates in my system but my fish seemed healthy. Through a desperate effort to bring phosphates to 0, I started dripping Lanthanum Chloride to a 10 micron bag. I have been doing this for the last 2 weeks & have to say, the colors on my fish & the activities have seemed a lot better.
    Phosphates effecting fish is just my observation, do your own research / search some write up.
    just be careful bc the lanthaum chloride needs calcium to work so watch ur cal

Frags
    Real Name
    Shaun
    Quote Originally Posted by gmguy496 View Post
    just be careful bc the lanthaum chloride needs calcium to work so watch ur cal
    What gets absorbed from the Lanthanum Chloride is the Chelated Calcium. The form of calcium that can never be absorbed by corals. Phosphates will chelate the calcium which can never be absorbed by corals / snails/ clams & hence our calcium levels will never drop with elevated phosphates (Corals esp. SPS growth are stunted due to higher phosphate levels), & this is the calcium that will be removed with Lanthanum chloride. But certainly heavier calcium will need to be dosed since the animals will start to consume.

never heard of this stuff. Btw how u been reefer