SynergyReef Out Of The Blue Aquatics Tank It Easy
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt

Cleaner Shrimp Stealing Food From RBTA

So a buddy of mine purchased a RBTA a couple weeks ago hoping his ocellaris clowns would go into it. After a few days one of them finally went into it and a couple days after that the other one joined him. They will randomly host it but most of the time they prefer to swim around the tank. Lately he has noticed his skunk cleaner shrimp picking food off of the RBTA and walks all over it like its nothing. The RBTA is about 5" when expanded and the shrimp is just over 2". The shrimp likes to feed near the bottom of the anemone so the polyps are never extended on the bottom but are always extended near the top. He have read all over the internet about this and never got a good solution. Some people have removed the shrimp, some let the shrimp get eaten by the anemone and some people's clowns keep their shrimp at bay. What should he do, if anything?
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Feed the shrimp first, then feed the nem. I had the same problem with mine

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    He tried feeding the shrimp first but the shrimp still continues to steal food. I told him to get rid of it. This is why I have no cleaner shrimp.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Do nothing. Nature will sort it out.

Heh, I love my cleaners - they're total clowns.... They used to swim around my entire tank floating lazily upside down, they looked hysterical. They haven't done that since I've added my angels, but oh well. I just feed mine first, and then feed the nems. Works fine - just make sure to give the shrimp a big enough piece of food to keep them occupied.