SynergyReef Best Fish Sho Tank
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

View Poll Results: Do You Run a Single Heater or Dual Heaters?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single

3 25.00%
  • Dual

9 75.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt

Do I Run Dual Heaters or One Single Heater?

I've read that reefers should always run dual heaters. I understand that it's for redundancy in case one of them malfunctions but how often does that happen? Does one run two large heaters rated for my tank size or should one run two heaters that are half of the recommended wattage for the tank size?
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Japanese Stick Reef jrpark22000's Avatar
    IMO dual heaters each able to fully heat your tank, but not greatly oversized. That way each heater can fail and you still have a fully warm, functional tank. Both controlled from the same controller with one set slighly higher than the other so normally only one is used is my preference.

ok so my concern is this. I want my heater in my sump but my sump is only 16in tall and the water level is probably only at 12in

so a 120 gallon tank will need a 250 watt heater. which is on average 17in long. How could I make that work?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
    ok so my concern is this. I want my heater in my sump but my sump is only 16in tall and the water level is probably only at 12in

so a 120 gallon tank will need a 250 watt heater. which is on average 17in long. How could I make that work?
    Turn it sideways

Quote Originally Posted by gmguy496 View Post
    Turn it sideways
    no section in the sump is wider then 12in.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    I used to run dual heaters, and I know it's an awesome idea.....especially when one of them failed. And it did. I now have a 300 watt single eheim jager and it keeps the temp spot on. I haven't gotten around to buying another, but i did grab a new Cobalt Slim heater. I'll but another and use them both for my sump. I've just been lazy. But I would recommend running dual heaters, each both capable if heating the entire system on their own.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,

Quote Originally Posted by keishakornbread View Post
    I used to run dual heaters, and I know it's an awesome idea.....especially when one of them failed. And it did. I now have a 300 watt single eheim jager and it keeps the temp spot on. I haven't gotten around to buying another, but i did grab a new Cobalt Slim heater. I'll but another and use them both for my sump. I've just been lazy. But I would recommend running dual heaters, each both capable if heating the entire system on their own.
    So then it would have to run them in the DT which I wanted to avoid

Mobile browsing

I have two but only when it's cold. I have a 300w in the DT that's connected to a JBJ controller; it's there all the time. In the sump I have a 150w (?) in case my 300w2 has a problem. I think in the warmer weather the tank won't get that cool and I'll notice the problem in enough time. I figure the 150w in the sump could keep the tank in a reasonable temp if my 300w fails for some reason. I didn't want the 150 in the DT bc I couldn't hide it well enough.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
    So then it would have to run them in the DT which I wanted to avoid

Mobile browsing
    Mine are in my sump.

Quote Originally Posted by keishakornbread View Post
    Mine are in my sump.
    But what I'm saying is a heater big enough is too tall to run in my sump.

Mobile browsing