Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
    Real Name
    Nate

anyone who knows me. . . (new fish)

from advancedaquarist.com:
    "An absurdly beautiful new Trimma goby

By Leonard Ho - Posted Feb 27, 2014 09:00 AM
    Trimma helenae is a recently discovered and newly described dwarf goby from Raja Ampat, Indonesia. At only approximately one inch in length, this "tie-dyed" goby rivals any fish for the most colorful species we've seen.

2 Comments

Trimma helenae - the colors, man, the colors ...
    Trimma helenae was discovered last summer by Dr. Mark Erdmann. This month, it was official described and named after Helen Newman, the lead biologist of the expedition that found this glowing jewel of a fish. Recent surveys of the biological hotbed Coral Triangle (notably by Conservation International and the California Academy of Sciences) have turned up many new species. If a fish this gaudy was only recently described, imagine what other exotic species we've yet to find!

Author: Leonard Ho
    I'm a passionate aquarist of over 30 years, a coral reef lover, and the blog editor for Advanced Aquarist. While aquarium gadgets interest me, it's really livestock (especially fish), artistry of aquariums, and "method behind the madness" processes that captivate my attention.

Document

I can't see the pic with tapatalk. I will google pic. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    New species of fish named after Helen Newman

February 8, 2014

Exciting things have been going on at Sea Sanctuaries recently. A new species of fish has been discovered and it has been named after one of our founders Helen Newman, leader of the survey that led to the discovery of this species. The fish has been named after her for her tireless conservation efforts on behalf of Raja Ampat and its indigenous communities over the past decade..
    Helen is a Marine Biologist who has worked in SE Asia for more than 30 years and co-founded Sea Sanctuaries with Simon Day.

The new species of Trimma helenae, was discovered by Dr Mark Erdmann, who is on our Scientific Advisory Board, in the southeastern lagoon at Penemu. The new species has a unique colour pattern, consisting of a yellow anterior half and red posterior half, with four small white spots along the midline of the dorsal and ventral surfaces of the caudal peduncle. T. helenae belongs to a group of 12 valid nominal species defined by having a broad bony interorbital region (width 80– 100% of pupil diameter), but differs from all of but three of these in having only cycloid scales in the midline and on the sides of the nape. The other members of the group have mostly ctenoid scales in this region.
    We also need to say thank you to Dr Gerry Allen, who is also one of our Scientfic Advisers, for his role in the discovery. Credits are due to Mark & Gerry for the Paratype and Holotype images you see here.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!