Ascension Aquatics The Candy Shop Reefwise
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    scott

need a little help.

Okay I've decided I'm not in love with my tank. The scape sucks, and I've gone cheaper on lots of things. So the bottom line is I've been talking to ted and gm a lot and decided Togo bonsai/minimal scape look with a bare bottom (oh yes get excited Walt).

I have a 36 corner. Thought about upgrading the tank but Im gonna make it work. Basically if I pretend the bow front is just a standard corner it becomes a cube to scape.

I'm gonna get rid of the rock and do a full restart keeping only my current fish(kole tang, coral beauty, clown)

That's what I've decided. What I need help with is a couple fold.

-if I do something like ceramics and have more negative space, should I run something like biopellets to keep the bio load in check? I intend to not even get close to the 2lbs per gallon.

-With that said what do people do to keep things stable? I don't have a sump for a rock pile due to limited space in the cabinet. I barely gonna be able to put the skimmer down there as is.

-my coral beauty is pretty timid. I read they are rock darters to begin with, will not having much rock stress him out? Anyone with dwarf angels chime in.

-im not keeping any of the rock. Or the water for that matter. Is that a dumb statement? I want to rid myself of the flatworms and bristleworms and I dont see any other way.

-do I need to be running anything on the reactor level to keep stuff stable? I've been researching and honestly everyone has a different way of looking and I'm confused now.

PS. I don't like options. I'm my worst enemy and waffle on decisions for months.

Simple answer is:

CeramEco rock is RIDICULOUSLY porous, like to the extent of the man-made bio medias (biomax, etc.). You will probably be just fine with the Bonsais alone but running a Reactor with K1 wouldn't hurt if you do have the space (zero necessity though). This is especially true because it sounds like you aren't a fish guy and won't have a crazy bioload.

Stability in a 36g tank will be mainly through water changes and proper stocking. Stock light, properly sized CUC, and then figure out what your water change regimen needs to be. If you have a decent sized skimmer you can also play around with carbon dosing.

Had dwarf angels in my nanocube with one single rock, the only time it ever went inside a rock crevice was when it was sleeping, it'll find somewhere to sleep, the bonsai usually have barnacles/holes near the bottom. It will be fine and will adapt. It should spend most of its time picking at the rock.

You are going to want to keep some of the rock at least for some period of time to seed your cerameco rock and hopefully get some beneficial microfauna in there. Otherwise you are going to have a full cycle on your hands and need to find somewhere to put your fish/coral while the tank goes through the cycle.

You need nothing but light, rock, flow, heat, and nutrient export (skimmer, water changes, etc.) to have a happy healthy SPS/Mixed reef. No reactors needed, no K1 needed, no chemicals needed. They are all fine, but none are necessary.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    scott
    bumpsies!