Sho Tank Coral Compulsion Ascension Aquatics
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reefwise: Aberrant Piebald Yellow Tang aka Koi Tang

We have been receiving new fish and coral all week long but this tang is our favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    DAAAAAAANNNNGGGG!! What is it?
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Walt, it is a yellow tang with missing pigment. "Piebald" and "Koi" are a couple of the slang names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice!!!

Stuff like that is normally simple recessive. If it could be bred, you could make infinitely more of them.

Real Name
    Nate
    It's leucism isn't it? I remember looking at crow feathers with it in a bio class. What a strange looking fish. Why am I humming Billie Jean all of the sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    It's leucism isn't it? I remember looking at crow feathers with it in a bio class. What a strange looking fish. Why am I humming Billie Jean all of the sudden?
    Leucism, the whole fish would be white. Piebald, or "pied", contain varying blotches of white. You could have an animal that's 95% white that's pied, even 5% white would be pied (but those are sometimes not genetic, and called false pied). Either way, an animal that's 20% white, could produce babies that are 95%, and babies that are 10%. It's random.

Here's a pied ball python. It's a homozygous version of the simple recessive gene.

Real Name
    Nate
    very interesting. It sounds like breeders of various sorts have made it more specific, but I don't think Leucism has to be complete like albinism does (if I remember correctly). It's a complete lack of pigment too, so I don't think it's necessarily white per se, just no pigment at all. Silver and clear and weird looking where albinos are just missing melanin. This is like 20 years ago temporary major in zoology, so I'm not arguing, just learning. I just remember being completely skeptical of the crow feathers we were shown that were half clear and half black. It's amazing animals like that survive predation at all, but I guess Yellow Tangs aren't really "into" camoflauge anyway. Thanks for sharing @Reefwise.

Blog Entries
    that tang is pretty sweet wish they could live in 37 gallons.... @Reefwise im heading up to the store saturday was wondering if u had randall's assessor in thanks

I may be wrong, too. I used to breed boa constrictor and ball morphs back in the day, and the solid white stuff was always (and uncontested), leucism or leucy. I've seen ball pythons, gators, nile monitors, brazilian rainbow boas, and recently a b.c. imperator at a zoo in Brazil that were all leucy. All of them have blue eyes, as well. Except for the ball, there was a variant with black eyes. I remember those snakes selling for 200k at the 2004 NARBC show in Tinley. They were also dominant gene mutations, which had codominant gene carriers that were different than the wild phenotypes.
    Last edited by JLydon29; 02-13-2014 at 08:34 PM.