The Candy Shop Sho Tank
Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  105
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Real Name
    Nate

Herbie's Aqua Lounge (In progress)

As I come upon the first anniversary of this build I thought I'd recap some of the progress I have made. I've certainly spent more time in on this build in the last year than I anticipated, but projects such as these are often filled with "surprises". I'm sure I'd be a little further along if I hadn't started this little internet project, but I had to have somewhere to post this.

Best to start a project with a bang:
    2/16/2013

then I was left with a bit of a mess:

once that was all cleaned up (3 thirty yard dumpsters) I needed to rough in for plumbing:

once i learned that simply cutting it just makes smaller pieces of flooring that you can't remove I got serious with the 60lb jackhammer:

And that was also a bit of a mess (let me know if you need any base filling for landscaping)

It may be wise to share with the reader why exactly I am doing all this as this appears at first glance to be just a crazy person destroying his house (it's also partially that). Anyway, I have a unique opportunity to finish this basement around an idea that I have had for a display and it's all sort of built in, so certain aspects have to be in place before I can actually get to the tank (and I have to make appropriate appearances to the powers that be that this is not, in fact; a unique opportunity to finish a basement around an aquarium, but the installation of an important and necessary family gathering area. . . you get the idea)

It's a bar with an inwall tank behind it (Poidog's 70g tech to drop names and be exact) and an open shallow DD tank on part of the top of it:
    (excuse the drawing)

The "trees"in the back are intended to be mangroves in a double overflow that I hope to train along rock back wall in that section. In the future I'd like to do a FW viv in that area as a continuation "inland" but I'm already probably overshooting my skillset by about 2 Shedds and a Kornbread.

I'll take this opportunity to point out (to those who've read this far) that this lounge is really going to be for "us". I hope to have this set up so we can have gatherings of various scale and I intend to have plumbing for a temporary tank to set on the empty bar for floating bags or cutting and fragging larger colonies, or whatever coral people do (bali order anyone?) So this build isn't just me showing you what I'm building I hope I'm showing you where we'lll be lounging

so, I poured a little concrete:

Framing makes it seem like you are making progress:

Had to build the bathroom first:

Any good "thinktank" needs a steam generator:

(that was hard to wire)

So that's about where I am now. I do have actual aquariums and I'll highlight more in a bit but for now here is a review of how the move from my old house into this one went.
    Before:

after:

Blog Entries
    Looks good cant wait to see the end product

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    You went barebottom? Or was it alwaus barebottom?
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    And that was a lot of work! Howo did you get all that debris out of the basement?
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Real Name
    Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by keishakornbread View Post
    And that was a lot of work! Howo did you get all that debris out of the basement?
    Buckets trashcans and by hand. I'll admit that I hired a guy to "help" me with that part, but he was just in my way mostly. I have not had any luck finding good manual labor since I moved. Young men today are so sensitive... Fortunately I have an extra stairway to the garage so the mess has been kept out of the rest of the house. (Makes a nice way to section off the garage and basement for a nice little boutique swap as well )

Real Name
    Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by keishakornbread View Post
    You went barebottom? Or was it alwaus barebottom?
    Prior to the move Ihad a 2-3 inch sandbed in the 45. The "mover" that I hired to help me with my tanks was far more equipped to help folks with FOWLR set ups. My goal was to have him move my main 45 whild Idid my other systems. The result was that Imove all of my other tanks and also helped him with the 45. He basically just pulled the rocks and most of the water out. When we got to my new place he was ready to just start putting everything back in, but you can imagine the resulting oil slick and muck that resulted in swirling around a 18+ month 2-3 inch sandbed. Needless to say I made the snap decision to dump the sandbed in my front yard. At first I was really pissed about the sand, but now that's I've gone BB Ihave to say I love it. Once the coraline takes over it looks really natural, and Iam sort of looking into using something like starboard for one of the two next tanks. I still like the look of the white bottom but it doesn't stay white anyway. The ease of cleaning and det reduction offset the aesthetics for me easily.

Real Name
    Nate

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Wheres the updates!?

Real Name
    Nate
    How should I deal with the point at which the aquarium meets the wall? It seems like maybe I need to Run the bar material to the ceiling or something.
    8-13 aquarium.jpg
    IMG_20150816_224707.jpg
    (still need to stain the wood)

Higgs - grammar police jayjigga's Avatar
    Can't wait to see the cardboard mock tank Bro. Maybe that will help get a feel for the gap (or lack thereof).
    120G...someday...