Reefwise Beefs Reef Ascension Aquatics
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Higgs - grammar police jayjigga's Avatar

Successfully kept a nano? Bring on the tips!

Even if you haven't successfully kept a nano/pico, I'm looking for tips and equipment recommendations for my 12G work tank. I'm still debating on what to use for filtration and nutrient export, so bring it on community! Skimmer is almost last resort because a WC can pretty much counter the need for a skimmer. My end game would be to house a nem and clown at the most demanding, otherwise mostly inverts an minimal coral...maybe...
    120G...someday...

Real Name
    Nate
    jay I'm currently running a standard 10g with a Korilia 240 nano, an AC30 (purigen and carbon) a CC PAR bulb suplemented with a marineland double bright to cover the corners and a cheapo heater. I did it to try to breed stomatella, but I'm amazed at the growth on the two zoas and the almost dead monti i put in there. So far it's been running several weeks and I haven't done a WC yet, just top offs. I had all this stuff laying around and I did it as an experiment, but it's working. It must be somewhat tolearable for the critters since my stolatellas are "getting it on" all the time. One thing i think helps is that I don't feed the tank much more than a couple of grains of reef chili a few times a week. There is just a yellow tail in there for pee/poop benefits (if those are a real thing) but he seems to do fine just picking at junk. I like reef chili as the food source because it works for all the critters as far as I can tell.

It ain't pretty, but the price is right:
    IMG_20140206_065019.jpg

Japanese Stick Reef jrpark22000's Avatar
    Hey Jay, My 2.2 pico BB has been up a couple days short of a year. It really runs itself. No skimmer, just a hob ac70 converted to tumble K1. It has a blue bonded filter pad in it to polish the water but the pad does little otherwise. I do have it setup for autowater change, changing a couple cups a day. No fish, just a couple corals and a small CB shrimp. Feed it a couple spectrum pellets daily. For light it has a CC par bulb and a goose neck mount.

The only issue I have is dino, otherwise it's maintenance and worry free.
    Last edited by jrpark22000; 02-06-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Kyle
    I've been having pretty good luck with my 8G at work. My OCD kicks in cleaning the damn thing though. I am hoping over time the GFO/Carbon that I am running in the IM Nano Reactor will help counter the brown algae issues. I was trying to keep it simple as I can but that never happens. My end game was the same as yours until the nem decided to fight the powerhead that was in the tank. Right now I am just running a spin stream and it seems to be enough flow for the coral that is in the tank. I do hope to have another nem at some point.... that is if the tank doesn't fill up with coral first.

The most important part is just water changes and top offs. The one thing to really look at (since I know your work environment) is all the dust/dirt that could get into the tank. I was very clear to the our cleaning lady to NOT spray anything close to my tank.

12G. No skimmer just RR and filter floss in the middle chamber. Par38 bulb from CC. Weekly-ish 1G WCs. I use a MaxiJet 900 for circulation. Top offs are by hand.

I've been living the Nano-life forever. My current pico is high flow, high light, with skimmer etc. My office tank used 5 EcoPico strips and a Koralia 240 with this tiny HOB for some mechanical filtration:

http://www.amazon.com/AZOO-AZ13097-M.../dp/B005VEWCMO

The key was simplicity, just used office water cooler RO water for top off, 1g water change once a week, bare-bottom with high flow to keep everything suspended until the HOB could pick it up. Went really well, kept all LPS/Softies and even some low light SPS (Setosa) with absolutely no problem:

For your tank the setup is simple. One Par38, weekly 2.5g water changes, high flow, properly stocked. You will have zero problems. If you keep the flow up you can do all water changes out of the back chambers and pick up all the crap back there too. No doubt in my mind that one of the new CC Par38 (or something similar in a DIY since I KNOW you) bulbs will grow ANYTHING you want in that tank.

This is some of my nano life:

24g Dual Nano System:

24g Clown and Nem System:

Fluval Edge:

24g LED Nanocube:

10g low light reef for the seahorses when one of the stupid nanocubes cracked:
    Last edited by SkullV; 02-06-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Auto Top Off will be your friend if you have a nano. It will keep your salinity stable.

Thanks for the great input so far! Let's switch gears and go theoretical: what equipment would you try on your nano? I'm thinking of running a reactor for phos removal, so maybe BP. Not sure if I'll d o some siporax and K1 too. I'm all about experimenting on making the reef easy to maintain. I'm definitely going to manually top off because I'm too cheap to setup an ato for a tank that small.
    120G...someday...

Real Name
    Nate
    an aqualifter on a digital timer (or any pump laying around if it's a good timer)is a pretty cheap ATO if you're crazy like that. I'm also contemplating the size and shape of that specific tank for various reasons and I am curious what an MP10 would do in it. Granted I could probably youtube it and find out, but I'd rather be theoretical for a bit first. I would also like to figure out how to light a tank like this from a distance without blinding everyone in the room. Cannon lights seem the likely choice, but I would love to see a Mr. Aqua 12 sitting on something like a bar in a pool of light with no more inorganic lines than can possibly be avoided. Would make quite a centerpiece for a fancy lounge in like your basement or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    an aqualifter on a digital timer (or any pump laying around if it's a good timer)is a pretty cheap ATO if you're crazy like that. I'm also contemplating the size and shape of that specific tank for various reasons and I am curious what an MP10 would do in it. Granted I could probably youtube it and find out, but I'd rather be theoretical for a bit first. I would also like to figure out how to light a tank like this from a distance without blinding everyone in the room. Cannon lights seem the likely choice, but I would love to see a Mr. Aqua 12 sitting on something like a bar in a pool of light with no more inorganic lines than can possibly be avoided. Would make quite a centerpiece for a fancy lounge in like your basement or something.

I'm going with 2-3 ecoxotic fixtures to get the minimal look, since it'll be on a desk. I think for what you're describing, we should try a par bulb with 12* optics... I've been dying to experiment with them
    120G...someday...