Ascension Aquatics Aquacave Sho Tank
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Culturing Rotifers

My clowns laid eggs so I thought I would need some live food on stand by so I decided to culture rotifers. I used this as a guide : http://www.reed-mariculture.com/support_rotifers_culturing.php and they sell starter cultures also. I also did a little researching online so I just took a little info from each source.

I got my starters and food from eBay; the price was better than reed-mariculture.com. The rotifers were floated in a 3G container that had SW at about 1.020. After 15 minutes I opened the bag and poured everything in. I waited five days before harvesting to let the population grow. I use a air stone and pump for circulation and I don't have a heater or lights on the container. Everyday I stir up the container, siphon off 1/3 into a gallon jug and then pour it back in thru a sieve (also from eBay). I take the sieve and rinse tank water thru it to get the rotifers into my tank. I feed the culture at at that time and then also again at night. You have to harvest at least 25% everyday for them to thrive. I read that you're supposed to turn off your skimmer also but I don't usually.

They are smaller than copepods so I can't really see them but I don't try too hard looking either. It does seem like the copepod population in my tank has increased though. I used to check after dark for copepods in the corners of my tank and they are a lot more now.

I do a WC (1G) every week or so.

And the clown eggs never made it but I'll be ready if some hatch someday.
    Last edited by jayjigga; 02-02-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fixie linkie!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Jeff
    The link provided is unavailable.

Do you mind adding some photos of your process and or setup to help explain the steps?

Higgs - grammar police jayjigga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangency View Post
    The link provided is unavailable.

Do you mind adding some photos of your process and or setup to help explain the steps?
    Try it now

Vic, I deff would love to see your setup. I want to get something going at the store.
    120G...someday...

Sorry; try this link - http://reedmariculture.com/support_r..._culturing.php

I don't have a picture of my set up. But all it consists of is a bucket, air stone and pump.

Blog Entries
    thats pretty cool r u keeping the culture goin or r u breaking down til u get eggs again?

Quote Originally Posted by gmguy496 View Post
    thats pretty cool r u keeping the culture goin or r u breaking down til u get eggs again?
    I'm going to keep it going. The clowns laid eggs again last night/this morning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trackfast View Post
    I'm going to keep it going. The clowns laid eggs again last night/this morning.
    what kind of clowns?

Mocha Clowns.