Sho Tank Out Of The Blue Aquatics Reefwise
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Yellowtail Wrasse in QT

Hi Guys,

Well the wife surprised me today by getting me a Yellowtail Tamarin wrasse. I currently have a Redtail Tamarin, but always wanted the Yellowtail...

Any who, first she's going into the QT where I'm going to have to acclimate her for a while due to the salinity difference between the tank she was in and my QT. I'll move over some rubble rock I have in my sump which should have pods on it. I will be using cupramine since I've yet to have issues with it. The QT has a sandbed so she'll be able to dig herself in.

Woke up this morning and noticed the Yellowtail was out. I didn't want to turn all on the lights on and scare her so I put in some live brine and she seemed to started to peck at it.

if your Tamarin is not eating consistently, try giving it a few adult brine just to see if it will trigger a feeding response. After it takes the adults try adding just hatched baby brine for proper nutrition. I helped to get a friend's Tamarin feeding again using that technique. After my own experience it seems like tamarins, leopards, and pencil wrasses never transition to tank life unless live food is present. The problems I had in the past were competitive tank mates. Just about everything else in the tank will rush the live foods before the shy expert level wrasses get them. You have yours in QT and it's coming out of the sand so it sounds like your chances are good.

You could also try some live blackworms to get the initial feeding response. Coral Reef Pet Center on Lawrence has them.

No guarantee but worth a shot? These are beautiful wrasses worth the effort to keep and I wish you best luck.

When I was able to turn the lights on I saw that I had put in a bit more brine then what I wanted.
    But she was eating at her own pace and she was pecking at the rock in the QT so I'm guessing so far so good. And I would agree with you. Those wrasse have the big body small mouth syndrome. I've currently got a Redtail and she's awesome. I'll see if she continues to eat the brine and if she does I'll start to try brine.
    I'll give the black worms a try if she starts to back off.

Pic of her today

Blog Entries
    nice fish

Thanks lol

Quote Originally Posted by gmguy496 View Post
    nice fish

Blog Entries

She was eating the live brine so, so far so go. I'm hoping she'll eat frozen food like my redtail. I'll give the blackworms a try, never feed any of my fish worms and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmo View Post
    if your Tamarin is not eating consistently, try giving it a few adult brine just to see if it will trigger a feeding response. After it takes the adults try adding just hatched baby brine for proper nutrition. I helped to get a friend's Tamarin feeding again using that technique. After my own experience it seems like tamarins, leopards, and pencil wrasses never transition to tank life unless live food is present. The problems I had in the past were competitive tank mates. Just about everything else in the tank will rush the live foods before the shy expert level wrasses get them. You have yours in QT and it's coming out of the sand so it sounds like your chances are good.

You could also try some live blackworms to get the initial feeding response. Coral Reef Pet Center on Lawrence has them.

No guarantee but worth a shot? These are beautiful wrasses worth the effort to keep and I wish you best luck.

I like live blackworms because the chances of your fish getting infected from a carrier parasite are improbable. They are freshwater organisms. As soon as they enter saltwater any parasites inside the worm are killed by immediate osmotic shock. The worms themselves wiggle around a few minutes at most before they die from the same cause.