Ascension Aquatics Coral Compulsion Wojtek's Reef
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt

Sump Pictures & Ideas

Many of us utilze sump sustems and many recognize the benefits of using them, with and without refugiums. Please post pics and videos or your sumps. Let us know what you like about your sump and more importantly, what you would have done differently now after having your sump for a while. How would you imporve yours or are you happy with your current design?
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Frags
    This is great, i will post mine just as soon as i plumb it, i cant wait to see how other people run their sumps!

For my 75G - I have a 20G high sump with fuge on the left; skimmer on the right and return in the center. The drain is split with a T with a valve going to the fuge side; nothing to the skimmer side. PVC except for the return which is reinforced tubing. ATO is set up to add water into the return section; MaxiJet 400 in the fuge for circulation. Return pump is a Quiet One 2200 (old style) with the adjustable GPH. The skimmer is a AquaC Urchin with a Mag3 pump. Lighting is a 6500k CFL bulb if I remember right.If I were to do it over I would go with the largest sump I could fit underneath (I had the 20G laying around).

For my 20g long - it's just a 10G without baffles. I have a lot of rock in it bc the DT has a minimalist look to it. MaxiJet for circulation and I have the drain going into a filter sock.

Pic is of my 20G sump.IMAG1446_zpsc0818156.jpg

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    Here are pics of my sump. I tried to find pics of the sump brand new and empty but back them I used CR to host them...so they are gone.

Below are pics of my sump inside the stand. I had it custom built by Anthony of Nano Sea Creations. It's a rimless acrylic sump. The asked him to use black acrylic to keep light out of the other chambers. to prevent coraline or algae growth. I have a skimmer/intake section, bubble trap section, the refugium and then another bubble trap section before water rests in the return section. In my skimmer section, I had a custom acrylic box to tumble K1 media. It drops in and water enters the sump through it. In my fuge, there is tons of chaeto and pods. My return is home for my rEheim eturn pump and my Innovative Marine Reactor.

I love my sump. The only change I would make if I had to do it again would be to make the intake and return sections smaller and the fuge area wider. The fuge houses tons of pods and the more chaeto in there, the better for the tank.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Frags
    Heres my sump, it is an ADHI sump that i converted to a refugium by adding an extra baffle. I have the skimmer in the first chamber, fuge in the second, and return pump in the 3rd, i plan on running cheato in the fuge, once its wet, ill put up another picture, mine also has black baffles to keep the lighting isolated to the fuge compartment.
    IMG_20131119_202531_143.jpg