Ascension Aquatics Best Fish Reefwise
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Name
    Michael

A few equipment updates and questions

As some of you may have seen on another thread, I had an outbreak of dinoflagellate algae. After researching and getting some help from others, I was able to combat it and it is 90% gone in my tank.

One of the pieces I picked up was the innovative marine media reactor. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalo.../view/id/2473/ I had my eye on it for a while and decided now I definitely needed to pull the trigger on it. I got the desktop version, rated for a 35 Gal tank. I have a 28 gallon so I felt I was good with this. It kind of fit in my Nano cube in the back skimmer chamber. I say kind of because the bracket is too big. The reactor itself fit perfectly but the bracket did not. I used some air tubing to hold it in place. It works great and after a few days I noticed a definite improvement in my tank and my water clarity. I want to get another one but it will not fit in the remaining chambers.

Instead I am going to get one of these phosban reactors and hang it on back of the tank to run carbon. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalo...t/view/id/482/ I should be good with that, the GFO and my skimmer.

Next, I am thinking of an RODI unit. My tank is not near a water source so my question is, how would that work? Would I just plug the system up to my sink in the kitchen and then pour the water into a bucket and transfer it that way? Or does it have to be plugged into a unit near the tank in order to work?

Also, with the GFO, do you guys feel the pellets or the dust version is better? Or does it not matter?

Blog Entries
    As far as gfo over the aluminum something or other based stuff it depends on who u talk to ive asked the same question before and got mixed answers I was gunna give seachem phosguard a shot when u set up the reactor with gfo u want a lil tumble if u tumble it to much it will turn to dust and be all in ur system u dont want that.. man reason im thinking of switching is the other stuff seams to be a lil cleaner to me but it does get hot when it first makes contact with water so u might want to rinse it before putting in the reactor if u go that route hope this helps a bit mabe someone else can chime in with a bit more insight on which product is better

Blog Entries
    And as far as the rodi goes I just fill buckets and then either use as top off or mix salt in them and I think walt still has a brs 4 stage for the black friday price of 130 I bought the other they had and it works great and cant beat saving 40 bucks on it

Real Name
    Michael
    I just seen that today. I might have to swing by and get that from him.

I just wanted to learn more about it first. If I need new filters for it, how often do they need changed out? Every few months or so? Is that something BRS sells?

Real Name
    Michael
    By the way, thanks for your help on this gmguy

Brs has a nice little video series on rodi machines. Go to their page and check it out.

Real Name
    Michael
    sweet thanks for the help guys. I will check it out.

Blog Entries
    The unit is 100% new as far as filters brs sells them the sediment will depend on how much sediment is in ur water but it has a pressure gauge so once it starts to drop change sediment filter the carbon block should last u somewhere between 6 months and a year depending on how much water u make the ro membrane should last bout 3 yr and the unit comes with a flush kit to help prolong membrane life the di resin is what u will have to change the most as soon as u see ur tds start to rise coming out of di cartridge change it im not 100% if the color changing resin comes with the value unit but there is also color changing resin which is another indicator that it needs change. And juice made a thread on how to combat tds creep that happens when first start ur unit up so I would also check that out so ur not burning through di resin...and no problem bud always willing when I can to help out

Real Name
    Michael
    I seen juices thread and plan on reading up on it. I just seen the BRS videos too and I'm sold on getting it. Just gotta decide on the 75 gal or a higher one but I'd only need to change 5 gallons or so per week for my 28 gal cube so I think this one will be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CORALN00B View Post
    I seen juices thread and plan on reading up on it. I just seen the BRS videos too and I'm sold on getting it. Just gotta decide on the 75 gal or a higher one but I'd only need to change 5 gallons or so per week for my 28 gal cube so I think this one will be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    The 75 GPD one is all you really need. John is totally spot on with all the advice he has given. Using a RO/DI unit will make a huge difference in your water quality. I no longer trust the water made at LFS except for a couple, and it's much easier to to make your own water. I started out buying it all from LFS and that got really old with the amount of stairs I have to climb to get to my apartment. I make water when I am asleep and at work and use a float valve that can be purchased at BRS. It's AWESOME!!
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!