Aquacave Tank It Easy
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Jeff

Cleaning & Maintenance Suggestions

It is that time of year again... major aquarium maintenance and cleaning. Blah.

First, I have some algae that likes to live in the teeth of the overflow box. I pick at it with tweezers but I am hoping someone has a better method for means of removal.

Second, I have some Calcium and Sodium Bicarbonate deposit on the walls of the acrylic sump from dosing. Has anyone ever tried wiping the walls down with vinegar? I feel like a old credit card just is not doing the trick. Anyone ever use a sponge on their sump? I have been paranoid about accidentally using a sponge that had some form of biocide.

Thoughts? Opinions? Your Experience?

Real Name
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangency View Post

First, I have some algae that likes to live in the teeth of the overflow box. I pick at it with tweezers but I am hoping someone has a better method for means of removal.
    I use the stiffest toothbrush I can find, I also have a "modified" Potato brush (I cut the bristles down with scissors) I use a pastry brush for my skimmer collection cup to clean it so I do not scratch the acrylic throat.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Emisis View Post
    I use the stiffest toothbrush I can find, I also have a "modified" Potato brush (I cut the bristles down with scissors) I use a pastry brush for my skimmer collection cup to clean it so I do not scratch the acrylic throat.
    Thanks Emisis! Worked like a charm!

Real Name
    Nate
    Jeff, If you have a lid on your overflow you might consider extendingit a little past the edge so it hang over the teeth and sheilds them from your lights. That would eliminate your algae issue in the teeth.
    For general scrubbing I use various sized test tube/bottle brushes from amazon or ebay. The long ones are nice because you can bend the handle to the shape you need. I also soak anything I can in a vinegar solution prior to cleaning because Iam lazy. I also just picked up a robosnail when they were on a crazy black friday sale, so I'll be curious how effective that is an assistinng with my lazyness.

Real Name
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    I also just picked up a robosnail when they were on a crazy black friday sale, so I'll be curious how effective that is an assistinng with my lazyness.
    Seriously????? LMAO (well I thought about one too )

Real Name
    Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by Emisis View Post
    Seriously????? LMAO (well I thought about one too )
    black friday morning at about 2am i got the DFS sale email. Let's just say it was an impulse buy to which I was not legally able to consent (It's pretty cool tech though)

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Kyle
    I use a toothbrush on pretty much everything. Mag cleaner for the walls.... I have to clean my walls like every two days.. So annoying.

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    I also use a toothbrush to clean the teeth for the overflow and to scrub the rocks too.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!