Reefwise Out Of The Blue Aquatics SynergyReef
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Name
    Michael

Looking For A New Goby

I had a diamond watchman goby in my tank for a year and a half. He survived my crash from long ago and was one of the first fish I added to the tank when I got into the hobby. Last week, I found him struggling by the opening of his cave. I found that he had been tangled in a piece of coral skeleton from what looked like a birds nest piece. I managed to get him out of it and didn't think anything of it. The next day we found he had passed away. I think he may have been tangled too long and gotten stressed or injured from it.

I loved that guy and he had so much personality. I am looking to add another goby but I wanted to go in a different direction this time. I was thinking of one of the ORA mandarins but do they really eat frozen food and flakes? I know mandarins in general need pods. Anybody have experience with this and know where I may find one?

I am also open to suggestions as well. I thought about a blue spotted jawfish, clown goby, neon goby and green banded goby.

Also, I don't have any Acros. Mainly Z&P's, Monti's, Acans and Chalices now. I have a firefish and two clowns in the tank and it is a 28 Gal cube.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Jeff
    I would go with a yasha goby or yellow watchman.. Have both and love them.. Great community fish and very hardy
    There is no reason not to believe that your goals are attainable

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    You may like the CLown Gobys. I just sold a Black Clown Goby and a Green Clown Goby. They don't need much space and are great lil fish that will stare right back at you.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks guys! I didn't consider the yasha goby but I will do my research.

Walt, you had them in the tank together and they were fine?

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CORALN00B View Post
    Thanks guys! I didn't consider the yasha goby but I will do my research.

Walt, you had them in the tank together and they were fine?
    I sure did. They were also in there with my 7 ORA tiger Gobies.
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,

Real Name
    Nate
    i currently have the following gobies:

• a Yasha (One of my favorite and earliest fish. I love him, but he has disappeared for days at a time on many occasions.
    • a yellow clown (very cool little reasonably priced fish. As @Walt said, lots of charachter and usually hanging out somehwere unique)
    • a neon cleaner(very active dynamic fish. may or may not clean others, but might be a good addition to keep potenitial parasites in check)
    • ORA Tiger (Another elusive but really cool figh. comes out just long enough to give a good stink eye and then scurries back out of sight.)
    • Trimma Cana, Rhubromaculatis and Tevegae. (the trimmas are TINY, but very cool if you can find them they're like jelly beans scattered around. I have a bit of an addiction to them, but I honestly don't recommend keeping them because they are pretty good at becomming sump residents)

I had a great little ywg but he jumped on me. I'm not a huge fan of the sand/filter feeder gobies because of the burying of stuff but they definitely do have some awesome attitude. Who can't love a good goby? A mandarin is definitely on the future list for me but I've always been too impatient and bought something else before i had enought pods LOL. Good luck and definitley let us know what you decide.

Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Herbie! I am still debating my options on this.

If I get a Mandarin, I am going to try for the ORA ones that eat frozen and pellets. I just have to do some research.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CORALN00B View Post
    Thanks Herbie! I am still debating my options on this.

If I get a Mandarin, I am going to try for the ORA ones that eat frozen and pellets. I just have to do some research.
    If I had live rock and sand, I would do a mandarin. They are gorgeous when they are adults. I especially love the red ones.

Real Name
    Michael
    Hey guys! So, I ended up going with a yellow clown Goby and a Green Mandarin Goby. I had a hard time finding red ones.

I think these two will add some great color and personality to the tank!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4