Aquatica The Candy Shop Ascension Aquatics
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Real Name
    Grumpy

K1 Media Reactor

Work in progress: K1 Media Reactor for Frag Tank

Equipment: CPR Aquatic Tumbler Media Reactor (Mini)
    Kaldness K1 Bio Filter Media

Tools: Cordless Drill and Drill Bits (Brad-point Bits)

I figure I need more "filtration" for my frag tank besides the bonded pad and carbon bag. The Aquarium itself is an AIO Cadlights 22g, keeping the parameters in check between the water changes is somewhat tricky. I purchased the Mini-Tumbler for the dimensions since it will fit in the rear of the AIO compartment. (Imagine that....made for a AIO)
    Normal installation of the supplied pump would keep the K1 pushed to the top of the reactor. This would not work since the K1 needs "motion" for it to work properly. I watched several videos about K1 and how it is supposed to move to make the "fluidized" action required. I drilled several (started with 3, ended up with 5) "drain" holes in the front of the Reactor housing (smaller than the K1 itself) and another for the pump. (correctly sized for the adapters to fit) Placed everything together, placed in bucket of aquarium water and added the K1 until I had good fluid motion and no major jamb ups of the media. I am testing it in the sump of my 75g to monitor the action and basically seed it from there. Looks like it is going to work as modified, only time will tell...............................

IMG_20131219_084934_867.jpg

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Video!!!

Excellent work!

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    I want to see this!
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!

Real Name
    Grumpy
    Last edited by Emisis; 12-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Real Name
    Nate
    I'd like to see the configuration of the pump as well. I've been thinking of ways to do this and had considered simply flipping the tumbler over but I'm not really familiar enough with the equipment. Your last pic isn't coming through for me.

Real Name
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    I'd like to see the configuration of the pump as well. I've been thinking of ways to do this and had considered simply flipping the tumbler over but I'm not really familiar enough with the equipment. Your last pic isn't coming through for me.
    The pump configuration is TOP SECRET, I don't want CPR to use my idea LOL The link was broken, i had to upload the video again for some reason.

Real Name
    Grumpy
    Update:
    Working as shown in video, a few jamb ups here and there. It takes a few days for it to jamb though so I have removed a few of the pieces of K1 until I figure out the correct amount. The suction cups ..... well they suck... they do not stay attached to anything for more than 10 minutes. Im ordering some magnets to cure this issue.
    The water level seems to be a critical part of the jamb ups too. When the suction cups fall off the glass, it tilts and screws up the flow to the drilled "outlets"
    Whether it's doing what it's supposed to I have not a clue, I still have it in my sump of the 75. The K1 over the time it has been running is becoming more neutrally buoyant. This is actually starting to help with the proper movement of the K1. Meaning I guess I might be able to add back in the K1 I took out.

Hot Administrator / Social Butterfly keishakornbread's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Walt
    Well...it looks like you got it to work. Congrats!!
    Custom Pico Aquarium 45g DT w/Starfire Front & Sides, 12g Custom Advanced Acrylics Sump & Refugium,
    Ecotech Radion Pro G3 LEDs (2 Modules), 2 Ecotech Mp40QD, Tunze ATO, Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer,
    Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump, 200w Eheim Heater,
    JBJ Artica 1/15 Chiller |
    And a whole lot of fabulous!