SynergyReef Aquarium Overload Ascension Aquatics
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

dinoflagellate - if you've had it, how did you get rid of it?

If you've ever had a bout with dino, what lessons learned and how do you erradicate it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Charvelguitar; 12-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Matt
    kept ph high and dosed phos correx, dino was out competing gfo and my skimmer, phos correx knocked it out.

edit: (this was in conjuction with a 4 day blackout)

Blog Entries
    I'll have toi give that a try. Thanks What did you raise the ph to when you ran it high?

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Matt
    8.6-8.7, i just kept a bunch of alk liquid in a little ketchup squirt bottle and put a squirt in every time i walked by the tank to keep it elevated

Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks for the info Diver! I have this issue now. I just noticed it the other day and I have never seen this before or experienced it in the past year and a half of my reefing. I seen it two days ago and it is spreading like crazy already. Hopefully I caught it early. I am going to run GFO and try the phos correx.

Funny thing is I was just looking at adding a media reactor to my system and I started planning it out and this happened. Maybe it is a sign.

Charvel, how is yours doing now?

Blog Entries
    I raised the ph and went lights out for 3 days. I already run gfo. It seemed clear for a couple days after I put the lights back on but then I had to go away for a couple nights. I'll be home tonight so I'll let you know. I still want to get some phos correx at least to have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Michael
    Sounds good. Thanks again for the info guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Research hydrogen peroxide dosing

Blog Entries
    Ok, so i have been reading about Hydrogen Peroxide Dosing and am considering doing this. Anyone out there have any experience with this and able to put their two cents in? BTW i have a 150G with mostly LPS, softies and zoas/palys. One thing i am uncertain about is the affects on pods... Advice?

Blog Entries
    So i thought i would try H2o2 dosing since i am about at my wits end with this cursed algae. I'll update this thread as i go. Today i am on day three of the experiment. From what i can tell so far, is it looks like the dino has either slowed down or maybe even started receding on the rock. I had patches of it growing on the glass and that actually looks to me like its going away. I'll know better later today once the lights are on and have been on or a while. So far i haven't seen any negative affects on my tank and the pods in my sump look the same as they did before, active and ALIVE...