Tank It Easy Aquarium Overload Reefwise
Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
    Higgs - grammar police jayjigga's Avatar

Blink's 30 Breeder - A Jayjigga detour from Saltwater

I'm putting up an ornate box turtle tank in the next few days because we're rescuing a turtle from my wife's work (The Field Museum). Currently, he's being housed in a 20L, and I'm upgrading him to a 30B that will be underneath my 80G. We went to the All Animal Expo in Wheaton, which the kids loved, and ran into @wrasseman. It's been too long Bud! @dohc97 could have been there and it would have been a great reunion.

We wanted to pick up some sphagnum and a dome for him to rest in. I saw this SICK piece and decided that it should work great for that purpose.

Food is being researched by the wifey, so what's left is lights and water. Being the LED head that I am, I'm looking into options for UVA and UVB LEDs, but either there's not much on it, it's stupid $$$, or they're hiding the info from me, but I'm not finding a whole hell of a lot on it. I saw a 3W led bulb for almost $14, when I can get 100 RB LEDs for the same price. Something isn't right, lol

So the two things still up in the air ( @ArachnidSentinl , @Worthless_J , @Herbie )

Lights - how do I do the UVA/UVB? Are LED's an option? I have a CF setup to use in the meantime, but replacing bulbs isn't all that fun.

Water dish - they poop in there, so is there a way to automate water changes? Anyone have any water feature recommendations?

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by jayjigga; 12-21-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    120G...someday...

Real Name
    Nate
    they poop like dogs, so any water change automation would have to be pretty heavy duty. You're better off just giving them a daily bath in a separate container with slightly warm water to force the poop. I don't remember all of the spectrum requirements on lights (UVB is important for sure?), but for some reason I doubt LEDs would help much. IIRC it's more about ambient temp and vitamin D/Calcium production. You might want to go halogen like this

Real Name
    Nate
    and remember that he needs a spotlight of warmth that he can move in and out of to regulate his own temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    they poop like dogs, so any water change automation would have to be pretty heavy duty. You're better off just giving them a daily bath in a separate container with slightly warm water to force the poop. I don't remember all of the spectrum requirements on lights (UVB is important for sure?), but for some reason I doubt LEDs would help much. IIRC it's more about ambient temp and vitamin D/Calcium production. You might want to go halogen like this
    Thanks for the heads up on that bulb! I have a UVB 10.0 that I can pair with that halogen for the time-being, but considering he's got a lot of life ahead of him, I'd like to pursue the UVA/B LED route a little bit more. I'll still run a heated bulb, but if UVB is attainable via LED, I would like to try it.

Poop! If the tank was drilled on the bottom, we would do some kind of solenoid to empty the current water and replace with an aqualifter, but that's not the case with this tank. I'll deff let him go cruising and swimming regularly.
    120G...someday...

Quote Originally Posted by jayjigga View Post
    I'm putting up an ornate box turtle tank in the next few days because we're rescuing a turtle from my wife's work (The Field Museum). Currently, he's being housed in a 20L, and I'm upgrading him to a 30B that will be underneath my 80G. We went to the All Animal Expo in Wheaton, which the kids loved, and ran into @wrasseman. It's been too long Bud! @dohc97 could have been there and it would have been a great reunion.

We wanted to pick up some sphagnum and a dome for him to rest in. I saw this SICK piece and decided that it should work great for that purpose.

Food is being researched by the wifey, so what's left is lights and water. Being the LED head that I am, I'm looking into options for UVA and UVB LEDs, but either there's not much on it, it's stupid $$$, or they're hiding the info from me, but I'm not finding a whole hell of a lot on it. I saw a 3W led bulb for almost $14, when I can get 100 RB LEDs for the same price. Something isn't right, lol

So the two things still up in the air ( @ArachnidSentinl , @Worthless_J , @Herbie )

Lights - how do I do the UVA/UVB? Are LED's an option? I have a CF setup to use in the meantime, but replacing bulbs isn't all that fun.

Water dish - they poop in there, so is there a way to automate water changes? Anyone have any water feature recommendations?

Thanks for looking
    Ha i spend to much money there twice a month

This boy got an upgrade!!! @fwadiver showed me a lowboy, so I picked up a nice 48" x 24" x 10", which is 50G, and gave more space for Blink to roam around. He's pretty cool.

120G...someday...