Ascension Aquatics The Candy Shop Reefwise
Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which camera do you use???

Looking to buy a DSLR soon.

What do you guys recommend for the photography noob?

What's your favorite lens for taking pix of your tank?

What settings do you use the most?

Any tips for taking those great pix?

Real Name
    Grumpy
    I have the Canon T3i (now outdated) No specific reason except for the Canon name and reviews of the top rated at the time I got it. It's nice has a tons of buttons and will do more than I can figure out with out going to a photography class.

The best you can afford

Macro

Auto because Im a noob too LOL

Tripod and patience, Trial and error, lucky shots
    Last edited by Emisis; 11-22-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Real Name
    Nate
    I'm a big Canon fan but it's all i've ever used so i know what all the little icons mean most of the time. I'm still using my old 8mp digital rebel xti with no viewfinder bumper ( )

i haven't sprung for up close glass yet, so my stock 18-55 is the best i can do.

I usually shoot on the manual aperature setting with custom white balance

My optimum shooting conditions: all pumps off. lots of light in tank no lights in room around it. shoot on a tripod with your timer for coral, good luck with fish. Shoot straight through the glass as much as possible (lens perpendicular to the glass) with no flash.Custome white balance. keep dialing in until it looks good.

I'm totally still learning this stuff, but the biggest single impact on my results was learning to use the custom white balance. You basically shoot a pic of something white in the tank like a plastic card or even your sand. then you tell the camera that picture is white (I believe it averages the whole picture, so watch out for dark edges). The first time one of my pics looked anything like what I was seeing with my eye was after messing with that for the first time (thanks @tangency btw)

hope something in there helps. let's hear what you decide and see some shots!

Blog Entries
    Any old dslr body works just fine. Get whatever you can afford. Canon refurb cannot be beat, just as good as new. What you really want to be spending your money on is nice glass.

60mm or 100mm macro seem to be the most popular choices, I really want the 65mm MP-E. Lets you get up to 5x life size on the sensor, but needs boat loads of light to get a crisp pic.

Manual setting, I don't have a white balance card, get by without one, but I really want one

Take lots and lots of pics, I'm usually satisfied if I get one decent photo out of a whole day attempting to shoot my tank.

A nice external flash will greatly improve the shots you can take, when using on board flash you need to have the lens up against the glass or you will get nothing but reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by Tethered_Limbs View Post
    Any old dslr body works just fine. Get whatever you can afford. Canon refurb cannot be beat, just as good as new. What you really want to be spending your money on is nice glass.

60mm or 100mm macro seem to be the most popular choices, I really want the 65mm MP-E. Lets you get up to 5x life size on the sensor, but needs boat loads of light to get a crisp pic.

Manual setting, I don't have a white balance card, get by without one, but I really want one

Take lots and lots of pics, I'm usually satisfied if I get one decent photo out of a whole day attempting to shoot my tank.

A nice external flash will greatly improve the shots you can take, when using on board flash you need to have the lens up against the glass or you will get nothing but reflections.
    LOL!! Very true.. I have a Sony A100, which is very very outdated. But I have mastered my camera settings. Not yet under LEDS 😤 The trick is to know your camera and each setting. What does it do, what is affected, sometimes taking random pictures and using editing software will show you what settings where used. Which in some cases it can be useful! I always loved taking pictures of members tanks.

What's a white balanced card, I'm yet to see one..lol!!

I also have a cannon t3i....pretty much a glorified point and shoot right now since I don't know how to mess with the settings....I think it would be awesome for some experienced shooters to hold a clinic for us noobs...err...maybe multiple clinics...lol just a thought

I actually got the camera for my wife as a Xmas present... It's a Canon Rebel

I use the stock 18-55 and screw on a X4 lens (This is not Macro by any means). That said I do so want a macro lens but it's a lot of cash... for me at least.

Priority Aperature ISO 400 and no flash as a starting point and just place with the settings till I'm finally happy

Like Herbie pointed out. Pumps off, all other lights off and and a tripod.

Good Luck

You probably need something that has a manual focus at least bc the glass will sometimes throw off an auto focus. I have the Canon T3i which is a few years old but a nice camera.

I purchased a "macro kit" from Amazon for under $20. It allows you to use the standard lens to take macro shots.

Manual focus; Custom white balance; I adjust the depth of field so in macro shots the front/back of the subject is also in focus along with the center.

Any tips for taking those great pix?[/QUOTE]

Tripod; remote shutter control; clean the glass! lol

And one last tip - I got my camera in a bundle deal from Adoroma and I know Amazon offers similar camera deals. I sold off what I didn't want or need and ended up with a camera body and two lenses for less than the body alone.

My wife uses the Nikon D3100, I don't know how to use it...

Thank you all for the great responses.

Anyone use the Nikon D3200?

Or the Canon SL-1?

Any reviews on those?